In single stream recycling, recyclables are separated at the processing plant and not at your home. This means that all recycling can be placed in a single container, separate from the trash container.
Savings are realized in reduced transportation costs, reduced tipping fees and reduced equipment costs. The success of this program is expected to result in tax dollar savings.
- Placing the can at the curb only when full or near full will add additional savings. (Fewer stops per week.) This is also true of trash.
- No other containers are used for recycling. The new gray recycling can is the only one that will be picked up.
- Our trucks will now compact the recycling materials therefore creating denser loads and less trips back to the transfer station.
- The recycling will be dumped into a large compactor at the transfer station therefore reducing transportation costs to the single stream plant.
- Single stream will now accept all plastics with the exception of plastic bags.
- Every additional ton recycled in single stream saves the Town $65.
- The single stream process will reduce the number of trucks needed to pick up the recyclables resulting in additional savings.
- As with your trash can the recycling can must have a 4 foot separation from other objects including your trash can.
Michael Giannattasio, P.E.
Director of Public Works
Newspapers and inserts
Not allowed - Food Waste in any containers